TED
TALK: HOW TO GAIN CONTROL OF YOUR FREE TIME by Laura Vanderkam
Link video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3kNlFMXslo
I wrote this bellow for English
Subtitle:
When
people find out, I write about time management, they assume two things. One:
Is that I’m
always on time? I’m
not.
Second:
We all had to just take a moment together and savor that irony. The second
thing they assume is that I have lots of tips and tricks for saving bits of
time here and there.
Sometimes
I’ll hear from magazines that are doing a tory along these lines, generally on
how to help their readers find an extra hour in the day and the idea is that we'll
shave bits of time off yesterday activities, add it up and we’ll have time for
the good stuff.
I
question the entire premise of this piece, but I’m always interested in hearing
what they’ve come up with before they call me.
Some
of my favorite: doing errands where you only have to make right-hand turns.
Being extremely judicious in microwave usage: it says three to three-and-a-half
minutes on the package, we’re totally getting in on the bottom side of that.
And
my personal favorite, which makes sense on some level, is to DVR your favorite
shows so you can fast-forward through the commercials. That way, you save eight
minutes every half hour, so in the course of two hours of watching TV, you find
32 minutes to exercise. Which is true.
You know another way to
find 32 minutes to exercise? Don’t watch two hours of TV a day, right?
Anyway,
the idea is we’ll save bits of time here and there, add it up. We’ll finally
get to everything we want to do. But, after studying how successful people
spend their time and looking at their schedules hour by hour. I think this idea
has it completely backward.
We don’t build
the lives we want by saving time. We build the lives we want, and then time
saves itself.
Here’s
what I mean. I recently did a time diary project looking at 1.001 days in
the lives of extremely busy woman. They had demanding jobs, sometimes their
own businesses, kids to care for, maybe parents to care for, community
commitments, busy, busy people.
I
had them keep track of their time for a week so I could add up how much they
worked and slept, and I interviewed them about their strategies for my book.
One
of the woman whose time log I studied goes out on a Wednesday night for
something. She comes home find that her water heater has broken and there is
now water all over her basement. If you’ve ever had anything like this happened
to you, you know it’s a hugely damaging, frightening, sopping mess.
So,
she is dealing with the immediate aftermath that night, next day she’s got
plumber coming in, day after that, professional cleaning crew dealing with the
ruined carpet.
All
this is being recorded on her time log. Winds up taking seven hours of her
week. That’s like finding an extra hour in the day. But, I’m sure if you had
asked her at the start of week,
could you find
seven hours to train for a triathlon? Could you find seven hours to mentor
seven worthy people?
I’m
sure she would’ve said what most of us would’ve said, which is, “No. Can’t
you see how busy I am?”
Yet
when she had to find seven hours because there is water all over her basement,
she found seven hours. And what this shows us is that time is highly elastic.
We can’t make more time.
But, time will stretch to accommodate what we choose to put into it.
And
so the key to time management is treating our priorities as the
equivalent of that broken water heater. And to get at this, I
like to use language from one of the busiest people I ever interviewed.
By busy, I mean she was running a small business with 12 people on the payroll,
she had six children in her spare time. I was getting in touch with her to set
up an interview on how she “had it all” – that phrase.
I
remember it was a Thursday morning and she was not available to speak with me.
But, the reason she was unavailable to speak with me is that she was out for a
hike, because it was a beautiful spring morning and she wanted to go for a
hike. So, of course this makes me even more intrigued and when I finally do
catch up with her, she explains it like this.
She
says, “Listen Laura, everything I do, every minute I spend, is my
choice.” And rather than say, “I don’t have time to do x y.” She’d say,
“I don’t do x, y, or z because its not a priority.”
“I don’t have time,”
often means “It’s not a priority.”
If
you think about it, that’s really more accurate language. I could tell you I
don’t have time to dust my blinds, but that’s not true. If you offered to pay
me $100.000 to dust my blinds, I would get to it pretty quickly.
Since
that is not going to happen, I can acknowledge this is not a matter of lacking
time it’s that I don’t want to do it. Using this language reminds us that time
is a choice. And it granted, there may be horrible consequences for making
different choices, I will give you that.
But,
we are smart people and certainly over the long run, we have the power to fill
our lives with the things that deserve to be there. So how do we do that?
How do we treat
our priorities as the equivalent of that broken water heater?
Well,
first we need to figure out what they are. I want to give you two strategies
for thinking about this.
The
first, on the
professional side: I’m sure many people coming up to the end of the year are
giving or getting annual performance reviews. You look back over your successes
over the year,
you
“opportunities
for growth.”
And
this serves its purpose, but I find it’s more effective to do this looking
forward. So, I want you to pretend it’s the end of next year. You’re giving
yourself a performance review and it has been an absolutely amazing year for
you professionally.
Write
next year’s review:
What 3-5 things
would make it a great year for you professionally? What three to five things
did you do that made it so amazing?
So
you can write next year’s performance review now. And you can do this for your
personal life, too.
I’m
sure many of you like me, come December, get cards that contain these folded up
sheets of colored paper on which is written what is known as the family holiday
letter.
Bit
of wrecked genre of literature, really going on about how amazing everyone in
the household is or even more scintillating how busy everyone in the household
is. But, these letters serve a purpose which is that they tell your friends and
family what you did in your personal life that mattered to you over the year.
So,
this year’s kind of done but, I want you to pretend it’s the end of next year
and it has been an absolutely amazing year for you and the people you care
about.
What 3-5 things
would make it a great year for you personally? What three to five things did
you do that made it so amazing?
Write
the family holiday letter.
So,
you can write next year’s family holiday letter now. Don’t send it. Please, don’t
send it. But, you can write it. And now, between the performance review and the
family holiday letter, we have a list of six to ten goals we can work on in the
next year. And now we need to break these down into doable steps. So, maybe you
want to write a family history.
First,
you can read some other family histories, get a sense for the style. Then maybe
think about the questions you want to ask your relatives, set up appointments
to interview them. Or maybe you want to run a 5K. so, you need to find a race
and sign up, figure out a training plan and dig those shoes out of the back of
the closet.
And
then, this is key.
We treat our
priorities as the equivalent of that broken water heater by putting them into
our schedules first.
We
do this by thinking through our weeks before we are in them. I find a really
good time to do this is Friday afternoons.
Friday afternoon is what an economist might call a “low
opportunity cost” time. Most
of us are not sitting there on Friday afternoons saying, “I am excited to
make progress toward my personal and professional priorities right now”.
But, we are willing to think about what those should be.
So,
take a little bit of time Friday afternoon,
make yourself a
three-category priority list: career, relationships, self.
Making
a three-category list reminds us that there should be something in all three
categories.
Career,
we think about: relationship, self, not so much. But, anyway, just a short list
two to three items in each. Then look out over the whole of the next week and
see where you can plan them in. where you plan them in is up to you. I know
this is going to be more complicated for some people than others. I mean, some
people’s lives are just harder than others.
It
is not going to be easy to find time to take that poetry class if you are
caring for multiple children on your own. I get that and I don’t want to
minimize anyone’s struggle. But, I do think that the numbers I am about to tell
you are empowering.
There are 168 hours in a
week. Twenty-four times seven is 168 hours (24 x 7 = 168 hours).
That
is a lot of time. If you are working a full-time job, so 40 hours a week,
sleeping 8 hours a night, so 56 hours a week. That leaves 72 hours for other
things. That is a lot of time.
You
say you’re working 50 hours a week, maybe a main job and a side hustle. Well,
that leaves 62 hours for other things.
You
say you working 60 hours, well that leaves 52 hours for other things. You say
you working more that 60 hours, are you sure?
There
was once a study comparing people’s estimated work weeks with time diaries. They
found that people claiming 75-plus-hour work weeks were off by about 25 hours. You
can guess in which direction, right? I get it.
Anyway, in 168 hours
a week, I think we can find time for what matters to you.
If
you want to spend more time with your kids, you want to study more for a test
you’re taking you want to exercise for three hours and volunteer for two, you
can.
And
that’s even if you’re working way more than full-time hours, so, we have plenty
of time, which is great, because guess what? We don’t need that much time to do
amazing things. But, when most of us have bits of time, what do we do? Pull out
the phone, right? Start deleting email.
Otherwise, we’re puttering around the house or watching TV. But, small moments can have great power.
You can use your bits of time for bits of joy.
Maybe,
it’s choosing to read something wonderful on the bus on the way to work. I know
when I had a job that required two bus rides and a subway ride in the morning.
I
used to go to the library on weekends to get stuff to read. It made the whole
experience almost, almost, enjoyable. Breaks at work can be used for meditating
or praying. Is family dinner is out because of your crazy work schedule, maybe
family breakfast could be a good substitute.
It’s
about looking at the whole of one’s time and seeing where the good stuff can go.
I truly believe this. There is time.
Even if we are
busy, we have time for what matters. And when we focus on what matters, we can
build the lives we want in the time we’ve got.
Thank you.
Thank
you for reading my subtitle of TED Talks Video by Laura Vanderkam.
Follow
me for more: @rachma_utami (Instagram) and Ramira Story (YouTube Channel).
Email:
ramirastory@gmail.com
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar
Share info atau tanya? Tulis di kolom komentar ya..